Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Help Me

This is a desperate plea. If you were to ever post a comment on a post, this would be it. I need help.

In one of my classes, we're supposed to do this writing assignment. She emailed some of us the start of a story, gave us so many words we HAVE to use, and then we send it off to someone else and they add on. Well, my story is about Rowdy Red Hawk ( I guess that's SEMO' s mascot) and him having some fun. I have added a bunch and used most of my words, but there are some words that I have no idea what they mean and the dictionaries on the computer are not helping. So maybe you can help. What in the world does concept development mean? How would you put that in a sentence? I have an idea, but I don't want to put it wrong in the story. We are reading them in class and I don't want everyone to think I have no idea what something means. We have to fake them out and let them think I know what I'm talking about.

Also, what is the difference between affective and effective? Once you answer that question, how would you put affective into a sentence? I think the way I want to put the sentence, it should be effective. I don't know...I have no clue.

I also just realized that maybe I should know the mascot to the school I'm going to. I'm as bad as Bill. He didn't know which buildings were which when he was giving a tour, but I have only been to the SEMO campus once and that was a long long time ago.

Tomorrow... I teach a group of 8th graders.
Today.... I'm a little scared.

I am also ready to do it. I am very prepared and I have alot to cover. That means if I rush through some of the stuff and get them finished quicker than what I want, I have extra stuff to pull out if I need to. I was going to post a picture of my bulletin board I had to put together, but there are different reasons that have hindered my picture posting:
1. I don't know how
2. The computer that I am at doesn't allow me to take pictures off of my camera and put them on the computer.

Oh yes, most of my story revolves around Rowdy Red Hawk meeting some of the Disney characters. I know the rest of my group will appreciate that. Matt is in my group (insert evil laugh here). Oh the fun of it all!

3-2-1 Blast Off!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Okay Laura, take a deep breath. You can do this. Concept development means exactly what you think it does. Just picture Rowdy trying to learn subtraction. Mommy Hawk give him five pieces of corn and then says, "These are yours, but don't touch them yet." Then she calls over Rowdy's brother, Randy, and says, "Here Randy, you can eat one of these." Randy gobbles it down.

Now Rowdy is quite hungry. He sees his little pile of corn diminishing and when his mommy says. "Rowdy, Randy just subtracted one grain of your corn and now you have only four instead of five." Rowdy's development of the concept of subtraction just took a stellar leap forward.

Affective has to do with emotions.
A scene in a movie where someone dies and you cry is an affective scene.

Effective has to do with the result of something. Mommy taking away the grain of corn from Rowdy was effective in helping his concept development of subtraction.

At least you are taller than the 8th graders. I almost got sent to the office when I did my student teaching. They thought I was skipping class.

Fabulous at being Katy Jane said...

I'm sorry Laurie but that is hilarious that you are that short. And I am glad that you explained that to Laura in such an "effective" way.